Friday, May 13, 2005

Starting Moni

I'm finally starting Moni. I bought the yarn for it in March and it has just been taunting me while I worked on Candace, the baby blanket, and the X-back tank. I decided to do Moni because I wanted to practice my fair-isle technique and I wanted to make a summer sweater. The fact that it is done on size 2 needles is just an added annoyance bonus.

The yarn for Moni is 100% cotton. And as anyone who has knit with cotton knows, it doesn't behave in the same way that wool does. For example, ribbing in cotton yarn doesn't pull in nicely as ribbing in wool yarn does. Cotton ribbing just hangs there like stockinette with texture. To counteract this cotton-yarn problem, I bought this:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

It is invisible elastic thread and it is suppose to give ribbing more pull/stretch. To use it, you carry it along with your yarn, knitting as you would do when you are knitting with two strands of yarn held together. Using the invisible elastic thread is a bit of a challenge. For one thing, it is difficult to see (you might even call it invisible). Secondly, it is very thin (similar to a thread). So, I had to be careful and watch what I was doing because I often missed the thread while I was poking my needle through stitches.

So, here's the back of Moni in progress. Don't you think the ribbing looks nice and tight? Just as nice as wool ribbing. I'm so pleased with how well the elastic thread worked. The fair-isle part looks good, too (at least that's what I keep telling myself so that I don't rip it out and redo it).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

8 comments:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Never knew about the elastic thread. It looks great! Thanks for the tip.

Rachel said...

I will definitely be looking into getting some of that invisible thread for myself. Oh, and the fair isle really does look great -- why would you even be thinking of ripping it out??

Pumpkinmama said...

It really looks wonderful - both the ribbing and the color work.

amylovie said...

Thanks for the heads-up on the elastic thread. Your Fair-Isle is going to be incredible. Where did you get the pattern?

Amy

Helen said...

oh, so wonderful m'dear!

Anonymous said...

That's so neat! Thanks for the tip! And don't even *think* of frogging the Fair Isle - it looks terrific!

Anonymous said...

DOH! I wish I would have read your post before I did a tubular cast on 1x1 ribbing for a Chickami. I've been putting off getting the invisible thread (because I didn't think it was really necessary), but I guess I'll have to go to my LYS to get some... ;)

Anonymous said...

your fairisle looks lovely....don't you dare think of ripping it! I was wondering why the elastic....ahhhh cotton!