Saturday, July 29, 2006

I thought I said that I was busy!

Three posts in three days? How did I ever find the time? I have a lot to cover today so grab a beverage of your choice and get comfortable. Or simply skip reading this altogether if I’m boring you.

Topic 1: Thanks
Look! A toy!Thank you all for your support and words of encouragement on my “help me!” post. I managed to finish all my expected work by Thursday afternoon and put out a small fire on Friday morning. So, I’m almost completely ready for our trip. I even have my knitting on my TSA approved knitting needles and a print out of the TSA rules just in case I have to convince a TSA employee that my needles are not weapons.

Peter also thanks you for all the good wishes that you sent. The bar exam is over and Peter feels confident in his performance on the test. Of course, I was not worried--this is the guy who got the second highest score in the nation on the CPA exam a few years ago.

And to those of you who got to my blog by googling “bar exam Alaska,” no one here took the Alaska bar exam. And even if I had, I wouldn’t be blogging about it.

Topic 2: More Thanks
Thank you also for your kind words about my Go With the Flow tank. I’ve worn it a lot and it’s very comfortable. I know that I knit it quickly, but I wasn’t knitting anything else during that time. And I realized that I wouldn’t be able to knit the tank while I was in Alaska because it was knit on non-TSA-approved needles. So, I wanted to finish it before we left. And heck, it’s mostly stockinette.

For those of you who asked about the shoulder seams, I’m planning to prepare something about it just for you!

Tara, cabling with this cotton did not hurt my hands. The yarn is so fine and the cables are so small that the cabling process did not seem much different from cabling with wool. However, Cotton Fine is very splitty and cabling with out a cable needle required extra care.

Topic 3: Flower
Here’s a flower for Helen. She’s getting married and wants to have a knitted flower bouquet--isn’t that a nifty idea? Helen has recruited fellow Knittyheads to help her with the flowers. She picked the Lilies pattern from Knitty for her flowers.

The flower is cute, but I found knitting it a bit fiddly. The pattern is clever, but the short rows were not fun for me. At least it knits up quickly. I have enough yarn for at least one more flower.

Topic 4: Bye!
We’re leaving for Alaska tomorrow! We will be gone for a week and a half. I’m not sure how much email access I will have during that time because I refuse to take my laptop on the trip. I want to be blissfully unconnected during my vacation. So, instead I’m looking forward to being buried under emails and unread blog entries when I come back!

While I’m gone, Monkee will be leaving the Houston area to begin her higher education in Dallas. I leave it to all of you to tease her mercilessly keep an eye on her for me. Make sure that she packs a toothbrush.

12 comments:

Agnes said...

Alaska! Wooooo ... have fun! Are you taking Scout with you? Just kidding!

Meredith said...

Have a wonderful trip!

Jennifer said...

A knitted wedding bouquet? How awesome!

Have a great time on vacation!

Karen said...

Knitted flowers. That's just awesome!

Have a wonderful, safe trip.

spinndiva said...

Oh a knitted bouket what a great idea!!!
Have a great trip !

Anonymous said...

Oops! I missed you. I printed out the TSA rules for my flight too; luckily, no one bothered me about the needles, because they weren't quite TSA-suggested.
I hope you have/had a great time!

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to decide whether to tell you a remotely funny story related to needles on airplanes. It would take a long time and really isn't all that funny. Aw hell, I don't have anything else to do (lie).

On my Europe trip I took my Ene's Scarf on Denise needles with little black needle caps standing by in case the unthinkable happened and I had to hand over the pointy parts of the needles. In the security line at Stansted Airport there was a big bin with a sign over it telling passengers that the following items should be dropped in the bin as they aren't allowed on the plane: lighters, knives, bombs, poison, swords, knitting needles. My heart sank. I hadn't really thought I'd have to give up my needles, which would mean no knitting for the reast of the trip.

So I slipped off the needle part of the Denise needles, put on the little black caps, and put the bag containing my knitting into my carry-on. As I waited I prepared my appeal for the security agent. When I got to the front of the line I pleadingly held out my tiny detached knitting needles and said, "These are my knitting needles. They are plastic. May I please take them on the plane with me?" The gate agent said, "Yes dear, of course, knitting needles are allowed" (as though there weren't a fairly large sign 10 feet away from her clearly stating otherwise) and I breathed a sigh of relief.

As I walked through, the agent leaned over to her colleagues and said, in a manner that clearly suggested she thought I wasn't right in the head, "Well, whatever it is she thinks she going to knit, it's going to be very small," and all the other agents nodded emphatically, agreeing that I was an amusing simpleton.

Okay, it's even less funny written down. But I'm not going to delete all this because I spent all this time writing it.

Anonymous said...

I just saw that you used the Cestari 2-ply wool for your Rogue. I'm planning on using the same yarn, so I'm glad to see it worked out so nicely!

Helen said...

oh my word! my flower! it's...it's....beautiful! oh!! you rock. *happy sigh* now to get cracking on knitting some of my own...after a baby sweater and a shawl. oh, the obligations....

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Peter on finishing the exam, and feeling good about his result! Glad that everything went ok with your work beforehand, and hope you are now having a marvelous time in Alaska!

I love that shawl and the Helen's Lace colors! It's so pretty and I can't wait to see it done. The calla lily looks so delicate -- I hope we'll see photos of the finished bouquet too. :) And I hope Scout isn't missing you both too much!!

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching up, so forgive me for not being able to help.

That flower idea for the wedding is amazing! Too bad I didn't knit when I got married 10 years ago.

Have a great trip to Alaska!

monkeemaven-fruitcakeknits said...

ARE YOU HOME YET!

Yes, I remembered my toothbrush. Forgot toothpaste though.