Thursday, March 17, 2005

My First FO--A Retrospective

In a previous post, I described how I learned to knit while knitting a sweater for my then boyfriend. The bottom of the sweater was a plain stockinette stitch (with ribbing, of course), but the top half had a simple, two-color fair-isle pattern. Very attractive, if I do say so myself! I started the sweater in the summer and finished it just before Christmas. During that time, I didn't have to worry about keeping the sweater secret from my boyfriend because we were in a long-distance relationship.

I looked through the journal that I kept during that time to see if I made any comments about the sweater. The only thing written was, "Eliza says that I shouldn't give the sweater that I'm making to Steve because he and I will eventually break up and I will want the sweater back." Eliza was one of my few friends who could knit. She was appalled that I was giving my first sweater away.

Anyway, I gave the sweater to Steve in December. We broke up in March. I never saw Steve or the sweater again. (Remember--it was a long-distance relationship.) But, despite Eliza's predictions, I didn't want the sweater back and I'm still glad that I don't have it. If I had the sweater, I would never wear it and I would never be able to get rid of it either. It would just be a piece of emotional baggage that I would be doomed to carry around (literally and figuratively) for the rest of my life.

However, I wish I had a photo of the sweater. It's difficult to show the picture in my head to others and say, "Hey look, I made this!"

No comments: