Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Happy New Year!

Today is what I call Chinese New Year but what the press generally calls Lunar New Year. I guess the press is trying to be politically correct by not excluding the Vietnamese or other cultures that use a lunar-based calendar. This year is the year of the Rooster. My brother was born in the year of the Rooster, so I sometimes call it the year of the Chicken just to bug him. But then, I was born in the year of the Dog and it's difficult to put a good spin on that! What's all this Rooster/Dog/other animal business? The animals are the signs of the Chinese zodiac. Similar to the western zodiac, there are 12 signs in the Chinese zodiac. But the signs in the Chinese zodiac cycle yearly rather than monthly. So, Happy New Year everyone! Eat noodles for long life and wear red for good luck!

Knitting news...I finally received the yarn for DH's sweater. I have finished several inches of the back. The cable pattern is much easier than it appeared to be in the chart. I can do most of the pattern without looking at the chart now. I just need to glance at the pattern to know how to start the seed-stitch in the center of the diamonds. Here's a photo of the work in progress:

2 comments:

monkeemaven-fruitcakeknits said...

Sweater looks gorgeous already!

monkeemaven-fruitcakeknits said...

Oh - are you coming to Coffee Oasis tonight? (Think enough directions are in the SnB thread at knittyboard.) Either way, I'll be bringing the ball winder as show and tell... or rather, "Lookie at my new toy!!!" ... but if you can't make it this week, looking forward to getting together some week! :)