Pattern: Karis from Rowan 36, modified
Yarn: Kid Silk Night (67% kid mohair, 18% silk, 10% polyester, 5% nylon) in Dazzle (Shiny Red!), 3 balls
Needles: US size 6 (4 mm)
1) Obviously I made this into a cape rather than a poncho.
2) I worked the edges and the center similar to the way that many shawls are worked. Each edge had 2 garter stitch stitches followed by a YO increase on the right side rows. In the center, right side rows were worked YO, K1, YO. In order to do this modification, I had to add a stitch to each edge and decrease a stitch in the center.
3) I worked a single crochet edging along the front edges to neaten them up.
4) Added a button to close the front, but I didn’t make a buttonhole. I just shove the button through a YO close to the edge.
One more thing: